Saturday, October 18, 2008

LibraryThing, and the LT widget

I have already blogged about my projects in LibraryThing. I dicovered LT last year and put my own catalog online in a week or so. I had an EndNote database that I uploaded to LT and, overnight, voila! There was my catalog online. Then I added a few more books the usual way, and I have been keeping up with it ever since, adding new books to my catalog all the time. See http://www.librarything.com/catalog/sgardner to view my catalog.

Until recently, I was a cataloger in an academic library for a very long time. So I wondered how I could use LT in my work. I asked my department chair if, using LibraryThing, I could catalog a collection associated with the Nebraska State Museum and she agreed. So I worked on that for several months. Here is the result of that project: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/manterlab.

I complained about LT in my last posting, so I won't do more of that here.

I had trouble adding the LT search widget to my blog. I selected a look for the widget and saw what I had to copy and then paste into my blog's HTML coding. I located the blog's HTML coding, but I couldn't figure out where in the coding to put the pasted widget code. Can someone help me figure that part out? Thanks!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Sue,
Re: adding the search widget for LibraryThing. Try logging in to your blogger account. Click on the "layout" link associated with your blog. I think you should see a rough diagram of your blog. On the sidebar there should be an "Add a Gadget" link. Click on that. This brings up a new window with lots of gadgets you can choose from. Scroll down a bit until you see the HTML/JavaScript gadget. Click on the Add button. Now you get a form where you can type in a title, and below that is the box you paste the html code into. Once you go back to the layout page you can drag the new gadget box around a bit if you want to change its position.
Hope this helps. If not, let me know.

Sue G. said...

Thanks, Susan. I get what you're saying here, but I just haven't taken the time to go back and add it. I appreciate your feedback. It was helpful.