Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thing #23: The end? Or just the beginning?

Well, I got way more out of this course than I thought I might. It pushed me to explore online resources that I had heard about but hadn't taken the time to get to know how to use. I found out that I despise Delicious and I love Twitter. Before I began, I expected the opposite to be true! I also learned how to post to this blog in a kind of elaborate way with embedded links and so on. I am so happy to know how to do that now.

23Things covered so many free things on the Web, but left out MySpace, Facebook and searching or uploading to institutional repositories, among other things, and it didn't cover anything that has fees attached, like Skype and iTunes. In all, I think that the course was well planned, and I sure enjoyed going through it. I loved--in fact, required--that I could do it at my own pace during an allotted time. If the time schedule was much shorter or stricter, it would not have worked well for me.

I enjoyed learning about some of my proximate colleagues through this course, but it doesn't hold a candle to sitting in a room with people week after week. Really I think it's better to have actual human contact when learning. Who will I keep in contact with after the course is over? That part will be missing.

If the Commission offered another discovery exercise, I would certainly consider participating if it met my needs at the time, and if I felt I had the time to do it. Also, that it was free was a big draw for me.

Many compliments to the NLC staff who organized the course and to the originators at Mecklenburg Library. Best wishes to the instructors and to my "classmates," and Happy New Year to you all.

1 comment:

Michael Sauers said...

There is a definite plan to do another version of this at the end of 2009. There's many possible other topics to cover including sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and FriendFeed. Of course, we'll not decide on those topics for months since who know what will change between now and then.